5 Tips to Manage Holiday Stress
Does the above not say it all? Tis' the season for some caroling, chestnuts roasting on an open fire and major stress and anxiety when visiting family for the holidays.
Here are 5 tips to manage holiday stress
1. Meditate- This is the best way of checking in with yourself. Take 5-10 minutes at the beginning of your day and meditate. If you have never meditated before download an app to help you. I use the insight timer. It's that simple. This will help set the tone for the remainder of the day.
2. Set an Intention, not an Expectation- Everyone has this vision of the perfect holiday, which is often an unrealistic expectation that only leaves you feeling sad and stressed out. Instead of expectations why not set an intention for the holidays. Do this after your meditation. My intention usually is to show gratitude for everything and everyone.
3. Phone a Friend- You might not be on 'Who wants to be a Millionaire' but let's pretend and use this lifeline shall we? Choose that friend that is a grounding force in your life. Ask them for permission to phone them if and when you need a break from all the festivities.
4. Remember to breathe- Sounds simple right? The key is to keep your breathing at a slow and steady pace. If you have practiced yoga before perform some Ujjayi breaths, if not then just inhale through your nose for 3 counts, hold your breath for 3, and exhale through your mouth for 3.
5. Lastly Pace yourself- Don't overdue it trying to do everything and be everywhere. Set boundaries and time limits so you are not overwhelmed. For example instead of staying over you just spend the evening with family or you choose to stay over for 2 nights instead of 5. Give yourself permission to say "NO" when you need to.
Wishing everyone Love + Light and a stressLESS holiday!